Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Hawaiian Burger

Dale and I ate at the Lowbrow tonight. The special was a Hawaiian burger which I didn't even know was a thing. However, upon a little research I've found that there are tons of recipes for this type of burger online.  All recipes found online include pineapple (mostly grilled) and most include cheese (frequently provolone but also mozzarella or Swiss). Some recipes included bacon (Canadian and also applewood smoked) which gives it a connection to Hawaiian pizza. Sauces were usually a teriyaki/mayo type. Other ingredients I saw included onion and red pepper. A list of different types of hamburgers on Wikipedia say the Hawaii burger is "topped with pineapple and teriyaki sauce" and is "from the Japanese American culture." Other than this I could find no other references to the history of this type of burger.  The version at the Lowbrow included pineapple, provolone, and a barbecue type sauce. It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment