Friday, August 4, 2023

Phoenix July 2023 - Hula's Modern Tiki: The Cocktails

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Dale and I stopped at Hula's Modern Tiki today and we made it in time for happy hour! Tiki cocktails were only 7 bucks (down from 12) and all appetizers were 7 bucks as well. 

Our bartender was great. I acknowledged to her my awareness that most tiki drinks have an element of sweetness but I'm not fond of drinks which are overly so. I asked if she could recommend one that had a little sharpness to balance out the sweet. Before she could say anything I asked about the Pink Bikini Martini because I thought it sounded interesting and that the color pink is quite IN because of the Barbie movie. She matter-of-factly told me that that's about the sweetest drink on the menu and that it basically tastes like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. I appreciated her honesty. She recommended the Zombie which is what I went with. She was spot on about it not being over sweet. I've had Zombies before and have found them to be less sweet but you never know how individual establishments make them. According to their drink menu their Zombie has "Bacardi light rum, dark rum, overproof rum, passion fruit, pineapple and lime juices." It was awesome. Dale had a beer. 

For my next drink she recommended the Hawaii 5-0. According to the menu it consists of "Bacardi light rum, spiced rum,pineapple, passion fruit, orange and cranberry juices." I liked this one even better than the Zombie. I also liked that it had a slight fizzy element to it. Dale had a beer. 

For my third (and final drink) our bartender recommended the Blood Orange Martini. The menu listed the ingredients as "vodka, blood orange liqueur, orange, lime and cranberry juices." She said she found it to be very refreshing. Agreed. Again, a winner. Dale had a beer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment