Saturday, May 23, 2020

Quarantiki - Hawaiian Sunset....Or Not

Friday, May 22, 2020


My intention this afternoon was to make a Hawaiian Sunset for cocktail hour. It didn't play out the way I was hoping but serendipity stepped in. The drink recipe comes from Jeff "Beachbum" Berry's book Sippin' Safari (p. 165). The drink calls for vodka, lime juice, lemon juice, orgeat, and grenadine. Now, in every tiki drink recipe book I've ever seen commercial grenadine is not recommended as it's usually just sugar water with red food coloring and artificial cherry flavoring. Real grenadine is supposed to taste like  pomegranate. 



The Smuggler's Cove book has a recipe for home- made grenadine (see pg. 328) which I decided to consult for my venture in making the Hawaiian Sunset. It calls for sugar (I used Demerara) and pomegranate juice (Pom) and although I changed the amounts to make a smaller batch I kept the ratio of one part to one part the same. Also, rather than boiling the juice to dissolve the sugar I simply placed it all in an old mayonnaise jar and shook it. Much easier and I think just as good. 



As I began to get the other ingredients ready I realized that I had forgotten to have Dale pick up limes for me at Kowalski's. What's a boy to do? Substitute grapefruit juice! Wow, it turned out to taste pretty awesome. Dale suggested that because of the grapefruit juice I call it a Hawaiian Sunrise rather than a Hawaiian Sunset. Voila! A new drink is born!



Note: Like the Aku Aku Gold Cup I made last week, the Hawaiian Sunset comes from the Aku-Aku restaurant, Stardust Hotel, Las Vegas, circa 1960s.


For round 2 I remembered to add the fresh mint as a garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment