Sunday, May 24, 2020

Quarantiki - Hawaiian Sunset

Saturday, May 23, 2020


So today I decided, just for kicks, to make the Hawaiian Sunset the correct way. I liked where improvisation took me last night but thought it would be fun to compare it to the original drink.


Although the Hawaiian Sunset is quite awesome I think I like my accidental discovery from last night just a wee bit better. There's something about the flavor of the grapefruit juice with the other ingredients that makes it just a little more unique. Maybe it's just because grapefruit juice isn't quite as common as lime in tiki drinks. 


If I make either drink again the only thing I would change is the proportions used in the homemade grenadine. Rather than 1:1 I'd use 2 parts pomegranate juice to one part (and maybe even less) sugar. The orgeat syrup adds enough sweetness. I'll have to play around with it a bit. The Hawaiian Sunset consists of vodka, lime juice, lemon juice, orgeat, and grenadine and the recipe is found on page 165 of Jeff "Beachbum" Berry's Sippin' Safari. The garnish is fresh mint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment